Anyway, on the way home, I was thinking about how growing up in Tennessee USED to be. Life in the "country" was ... well, country. My dad would preach at little churches in small "one red light" towns and we would, quite often, spend the afternoons after church with one of the families. The houses used well water (which tasted disgusting to me) ... the people spoke "southern" ... and you were served fried chicken, deviled eggs and very sweet tea for lunch when you visited. You usually saw a few chickens in the back yard and a tire swing in the front.
Today, we were just on fringes of "civilation" at the farm and I was reminded how much the "country life" is quickly disappearing from our county. However, driving home today, I could still see and enjoy it ... It was fun to get out a little break from our "utopia" of new construction and chain restaurants.
Zoe and I stopped at a little market on the way home and got a "cow patty" ... at least that's what I've always called them since they look a little bit like something you'd find in the cow pasture. Little private markets out in the country of Tennessee always have some "home baked" items on the counter and the "cow patty" is a common one. It's chocolate, peanut butter and oatmeal ... not completely sure of all the ingredients ... but I know those, for sure.
In the parking lot of the market were several pick up trucks full of junk and just around the corner from the market is the one lane tunnel (railroad overhead) that you have to honk before entering ... just in case someone is coming the other way. All these things that were just pleasant reminders of the days quickly disappearing ... the "good ol' days" of my childhood.
No comments:
Post a Comment