Sunday, June 29, 2008

From 1996 - Recognize these DINKs?






Remember all those acronyms of the 1990s? ... YUPPYs, YIPPYs, SINKs, DINKs?  Every type of household had a funny name assigned to it back then.  

We were DINKs at the time ... Double Income, No Kids.  Our little vacation that year was a two week cruise to South America ... through the Panama Canal ... ending on the Pacific side of Mexico in Acapulco.  Very extravagant ... and very "out of reach" to us now.  We're lucky to get a night out for dinner with no kids at this point.  Oh well, at least we have the memories.  :)

This is yet another stack of pictures that I've been scanning and filing away as I continue my job of cleaning/sorting my picture drawers.  So bear with me ... maybe you'll at least get a laugh at how much younger Bain & I look in the pics ... We were just 33 years young on this trip.  Jackson is very upset and wants to know why he isn't in any of the pics.  :)

This post has the pics of our dinners and night life on the boat.  We met a great couple (two great couples, actually) and I recently reconnected with them through the miracle of the Internet.  Amazingly, we spent two weeks together before asking each other on the last night there what everyone did for a living ... Well, it ended up that the husband and I had the same career ... real estate.  I still laugh about that because I think that if we'd mentioned our careers on the first night, we would have been comparing notes about work for two weeks.  As it was, we spent two entire weeks free of even a thought about work.

The "Macarena" was the big song/dance then ... the biggest "one hit wonder" of all time.  Bain is dancing to it in one of the pics.  At least we were past the Saturday Night Fever dancing of the 80s.  :)   In case you've totally forgotten this song, click here.  

2 comments:

park it said...

Hey I saw this cool thing about free scanning - (it was posted to a digital scrapbook club I belong to) they have used it and said it worked great - when I saw you were scanning - thought I should share...

http://blog.scanmyphotos.com/2008/03/news-pending-from-scanmyphotoscom.html

I have no afiliation to them - and do plan to use them...
Carol in FL

Martha said...

I think I'm having too much fun scanning them myself but that fun may start to wear thin soon! :) Thanks for the idea. I may end up using them ... would save me tons of time ... tons of time!

Martha