Sunday, June 01, 2008

Birthday Party Slowdown


I've heard on TV that Starbucks coffee consumption is a good "meter" for the health of the country.  If people are buying $4-$5 cups of coffee, then consumer confidence must be high.

I have a "soccer mom" version of the Starbucks coffee "meter" and that is birthday party invites.  For many years, our number of birthday parties and the crazy expensive fun that they are all about has always been high.  Lately, I've noticed a trend for parents to limit birthday parties ... maybe just a handful of friends ... or maybe a birthday party every other year instead of every year.

Is this happening because the economy is slowing?  I was wondering this today ... Jackson was at a fun party at the local gymnastics gym.  He got a Spiderman mask and a nice goodie bag of toys and candy.  But, we've really slacked off on the number of parties that we go to now.  So ... maybe people are cutting back on the inflatable "jumpy" parties, the chef/cooking parties, the "spa for kids" parties ... in favor of cake and ice cream with mom, dad and their sibs.

It certainly makes it a little more fun to go to a party if you're not going to two or three every week!  :)

No comments: