Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Go Fish! (aka Go Marlins!)

Baseball is over for this spring.    It seems that the seasons for the kids' sports go faster each year ... except football, that is ... which seems to get longer each year!  If you've had a kid play football, you know exactly what I mean.

Anyway, other than football, you blink and the season is  over.  :)

A few weeks ago, I "suffered" a few days of depression.  I felt lonely and out of touch.  Through some prayer and Bible study, I was reminded that these times in my life will pass quickly ... I will blink and the season will be over.  Soon, my kids will be growing up and moving on to hanging out with friends.  My time will be my own again.

In the meantime, I'm not going to waste these years sulking over being lonely for adult conversations, worrying that I don't have enough time to spend at the gym or not feeling very important since I am not bringing home a huge paycheck.  There will always be a time in the future for all of those things ... and, I think, the time will be here before I know it.  

So, I'm feeling a renewed ability to savor the moments and that ability has done an amazing healing job on my depressed spirit of a few weeks ago.  I still believe that as hurtful as depression is ... we do some of it to ourselves.  We don't fight back (mentally) but give in to the arrows of our own negative thoughts.  We let them hit us right in the heart and when we lose the battle, we give ourselves permission to coast through life as someone who's defeated ... We accomplish less; live without enthusiasm.

I don't say any of this to condemn a depressed person as defeated ... instead, hopefully, these thoughts will encourage (and serve as a reminder to myself when I reread them later).  We must keep fighting when our mind starts shooting the arrows.  We need to win the battle and become stronger in the process.

As for Hank, he really liked playing baseball this year (most of the time) ... though, sometimes, he would forget that he was in the middle of a game and he would start building "castles" in the dirt.  :)

1 comment:

kirsten said...

classic! Hank's baseball picture with the cut on his eye...the perfect ball player! this may be the only way i see you this week...i am enjoying our friendship/blogship!