My brother and sister-in-law are in town and I thought they would like the chance to visit this market. Plus, I've been wanting to go myself but didn't want to try it with four kids and just me. :) My SIL is Japanese but she grew up in Brazil ... so she can eat and cook food from lots of different parts of the world.
We enjoyed looking (but not buying) the fish ... moving quickly to the Mexican, Japanese and Chinese food isles for some of our favorite foods.
This afternoon, we made sushi (ck BJ's blog for more pics), cheese/meat tostados, homemade salsa and we snacked on Japanese spicy crackers, Mexican pork rinds and Coca-Cola in a bottle ... Tonight, we are planning on black beans and rice and corn meal muffins. I found cilantro and tomatillas for the salsa that I hadn't used before. Tomatillas add a lime flavor and the cilantro has a great aroma and flavor.
Last night, we got our fill of American, though. Our neighborhood party included hamburgers, tons of sides, and some great desserts ... brownies, ice cream, cookies ... there was even an Italian cream cake ... my favorite cake in the world - if not beyond.
Back on my diet next week, I guess! :) And, yes, those are squid that Zoe is checking out in the first picture. Uggh ... you would think that the market trip would have spoiled our appetite a little ... but, it didn't a bit.
We are now spending the afternoon in a post-pig-out siesta and everyone is watching Tora, Tora, Tora on cable. A lazy afternoon ... the best kind.
2 comments:
Love that market....kinda stinky though : ) Sounds like a yummy meal. Happy Fourth!
Linlee loves squid (and she only eats peanut butter)! Try calamari sometime - it's very yummy! Sounds like you all had a great time cooking some fun foods!
Post a Comment