Friday, November 03, 2006

Free Time in Guangzhou




Let's see ... I'm losing track of the days and especially since it is one day here in China and the previous day at home for the boys! After a little thought ... I remember it is Friday afternoon here ... Thursday middle of the night at home.

We had to do a little paperwork at 11:30 today (all our adoption "contracts" were given to us ... I guess that is what will be filed in the equivalent of Chinese court. We just had to review the info about us and Zoe and make sure it was all accurate). Since 11:30, we've had no more adoption process work until 7:30 tonight. We'll be taking Zoe's picture tonight to attach to her medical exam which is scheduled for tomorrow.

This afternoon, homesickness set in for me. I talked to the kids and B.J. said he was ready for us to be home and to be back at home himself. I am feeling the same. I was hungry and didn't have anywhere to get food except the McDonalds next to our hotel ... and nothing to do all day but sit in our room.

We had already spent time checking out the hotel shops - which are quite numerous. We bought Zoe a jade necklace pendant of a rooster ... She was born in the year of the rooster. So, there wasn't much else around our hotel area to see or do.

I went to the lobby and asked the desk where to find Kentucky Fried Chicken ... the person stared back at me in bewilderment ... I started feeling more and more lost in this world of China. Then, a few seconds later, he said ... "Oh, chicken ... We no have what you ask but we have KFC." ... success!! He wrote the address on a card in Chinese and we were off to find a cab.

Bain, Zoe and I got into a cab (no car seat and the craziest driving you have ever seen). It was so hard to get a cab that we wondered if we'd be able to find someone to bring us back once we got there. Cabs passed us by and one drove off when we showed him the card of where we wanted to go. Our driver dropped us at the shopping district called Beijing Road. There were several blocks of the downtown blocked off, a huge number of stores and tons of people shopping. We only saw a few Muslims (Arabs) and a handful of Caucasians ... everyone else was Asian ... lots of younger Chinese girls and boys out together and lots of extended families shopping with one child per family group. Many people stopped to play with Zoe for a minute.

We found a children's clothing store and bought a Chinese outfit for Zoe and a Chinese padded coat for her ... $15 or so dollars for both. We also found a store selling the 2008 Olympic mascots in box sets. I fell in love with these little creatures when we saw their huge statues at Tiannamen Square in Beijing. We bought a set for about $20 and we were looking at their names. The "leader" and my favorite is the red one ... and we learned her name is HuanHuan ... same as Zoe's Chinese name!! :) We also bought sunglasses ... Raybans for about $13 each ... probably fake!

We located the KFC and went in for just a Coke ... decided we'd wait and eat dinner since it was getting late instead of the KFC for late lunch. As soon as we got in, we looked at the menu and realized we were starving ... I ordered a Spicy Chicken sandwich and Bain ordered hot wings, mashed potatoes and cole slaw. We took a picture of the cole slaw ... Chinese style, not U.S. southern style! Bain went back for seconds of the mashed potatoes and the Chinese girls working there were laughing at him. We asked for salt and, like always, it came in a little cup (see picture).

I decided to use the KFC restroom to change Zoe's diaper. I waited in line for a few minutes and then opened the bathroom door. It had two small stalls (squatty potties) and about 3x5 feet of space between them ... that was it. Guess we kind of take our spacious bathrooms, changing tables and toilet paper for granted in the states!

It was no problem finding a cab ... they were lined up at the shopping district ... and, after another scary ride home, we have been resting in the room. Guess I'll load a few pictures and we'll be off to have Zoe's medical exam picture taken. Missing you all very much!!!

No comments: