Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Just A Teen-Ager At Heart


I started noticing this fall that all my female students were reading this certain novel about vampires.  A couple of them asked me what the reference meant in the beginning of the book.  It starts out with a quote from Genesis ... relating the storyline to Eve and the tempting apple.  I read the quote and the back cover of the book ... I tried to explain how the author might be using the comparison of Eve to show that the main female character will be tempted by something that she knows she should avoid ... for example, a vampire boyfriend :) and that she could have any other boyfriend except that one ... but that she might be drawn only to that "non allowed" one.  The girls seemed clueless to this comparison and I was amazed to learn that none of them knew the story of Adam and Eve ... pretty surprising.

Anyway, I decided to check it out and see what the big deal was with this book.  I am talking EVERY girl was reading it ... Over the Thanksgiving holiday, I picked up a copy and read a little bit every afternoon during Zoe's naptime.

Fast forward a few weeks later ... now I'm hooked on this tweener book series.  I'm a nut for a good novel ... though, I don't typically go for a chick-type book ... this one has been fun to read.  I'm on "Eclipse" now ... book three ... over 600 pages.  It's good for a few 1 or 2 AM late night reading marathons this week while I have off from school.  :)   yep ... I'm hooked ... for sure ... or, I guess I should say ... bitten!  :)

1 comment:

Janet Skelton said...

So has your neice, Sarah Skelton. She has read them all!