When we went to Maryland for Laura's funeral, her school "family" hosted a "Love for Laura" day and they decorated all the trees in the school yard with purple ribbons. My brother-in-law, Clint, stopped by the school just a couple of days ago and sat in the parking lot looking at all the purple ribbons. They've remained on the trees ... a reminder of everyone's favorite principal, Mrs. Guthrie. Purple was Laura's favorite color and she wrote EVERYTHING in purple pen.
Here's a picture of my kids in front of "Laura's tree" ... This was the tree that was planted for her to celebrate her retirement in the fall of 2008. It is located just outside her office window ... the school office that she was in for about 12 years.
Just a week after my sister died, my husband's dad died unexpectedly. We knew he'd been sick ... but didn't realize how weak he'd become. We got a call during spring break that he had passed away. So, we loaded the kids up for another across-the-country trip to a family funeral. Fortunately, we visited Bain's dad last summer for a week ... so the kids will all remember their granddad somewhat.
The "new reality" that we have is one without any grandparents for our kids ... and my "surrogate grandparent" in my sister is gone, too. My sister was 16 years older than me and had willingly taken on the role of a "surrogate mom" to me after our mom died many years ago. It's lonely without these family members and we miss them every day. But, I guess it forces us to grow up a little and become the adults that we need to be. Fortunately, we have strength in God's power ... and that is a pretty big boost of power ... something that can be much needed when trying to raise four little kiddos! :)
6 comments:
I am so sorry to hear about your sister. I met her when you were here in Lancaster. Lauren took to her immediately and she is usually shy and slow to warm up to people. I am sure she is dearly missed.
April
we'll continue to pray for your family. thanks for the nice post!
Hi Martha,
I'm so sorry, I meant to write when I heard about Bain's dad. I'm so sorry to hear about his passing, and of course your sister too. I know how hard it is to lose a parent and I'm so close with my sisters, I can't imagine losing one of them. Hugs!!!
they can call me Grandma any day!!! I love the purple ribbons...I'm sure that school is just not the same.
Martha, I'm so sorry about your recent losses. My father died unexpectedly at Christmas, so I am also dealing with a new reality. Hang in there...
Hugs,
Colleen
You and your family are in my prayers.
Hugs.
Post a Comment